The European Association for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (EACPT) is a learned society in the field of clinical pharmacology. It is the leading society in Europe serving the European and international clinical pharmacology and therapeutics community. The EACPT includes all national organizations for clinical pharmacology in Europe and provides educational and scientific support for the more than 4000 individual professionals interested in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics throughout the European region, with its congresses – the next in Prague in 2017 – attended by an international audience. The EACPT also holds summer schools, focus meetings and other scientific and professional activities.
The aims of the Association are to develop clinical pharmacology and therapeutics in Europe by:
- Promoting the use of clinical pharmacological services in healthcare
- Improving and harmonizing the teaching of the rational use of drugs at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Contributing with clinical pharmacological expertise to state policy decisions regarding the regulation of drugs in Europe
- Arranging scientific meetings, workshops and courses in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics in Europe
- Utilizing the skills of clinical pharmacology and therapeutics in counteracting misuse of prescriptions drugs and other chemical substances
- Promoting problem and patient-orientated drug information about medicines for physicians and other health professionals
- Increasing the input of clinical pharmacological skills in the evaluation of drugs;
- Promoting high professional standards in the prescribing of drugs
- Promoting high ethical standards in clinical drug research
- Promoting the exchange of opinions in individual countries with regards to existing differences in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics
- Encouraging collaboration with other agencies interested in clinical pharmacology and therapeutics e.g. WHO, European Regulatory Network, IUPHAR.